Saturday, November 13, 2010

Mark 1:21-28 (NLT) - New Teaching...

In this passage we have Jesus coming to the town of Capernaum, and when the Sabbath came, He went into the temple to teach.   When He taught, vs.22 says that “he taught with real authority--quite unlike the teachers of religious law”.   There is a difference between teaching, and TEACHING.   In College there were teachers that were teaching like they were reciting a manual of some sort, trying to go by the word, but without the passions and confidence of someone who teaches what they really believe.   A sermon without passion on Sunday morning, is just a piece of paper with some good facts, but not much real substance.   I hate listening to those sermons.  

I’m not talking about being overly loud, or even charismatic, but Jesus had an authority that was foreign to the listeners in Capernaum.

Then a man who was possessed by an evil (or unclean) spirit and says “Why are you interfering with us, Jesus of Nazareth?  Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are-- the Holy One sent from God!”

Jesus was teaching with AUTHORITY, something that the religious leaders did not do, and people were amazed … I find it interesting that the evil spirit didn’t have a problem with the teaching of the religious leaders … I mean he was in the synagogue.   If he was always interrupting speakers, people would know about him, and I doubt that he would have been allowed into the place.

I get the impression that evil spirits don’t mind people who don’t teach with authority.   For me, it’s a warning for when I preach (which I’ve gotta do next Sunday), to preach as the Holy Spirit directs, and to speak with authority.  Satan doesn’t mind preachers who don’t preach with authority.   He likes it when the people in Church (in this case synagogue) go through the motions, and aren’t challenged in their way of life.

Jesus cuts the evil Spirit short telling him to “Be quiet!  Come out of the man.”  

Now the next thing that I notice is that the evil spirit recognized who Jesus was (vs. 24), but the people, even though they saw the power of Christ, and heard what the evil spirit said about Christ .. They didn’t comprehend it.   They thought that the casting out of the demon was a TEACHING??  Vs. 27 “What sort of new teaching is this?”

Some people still think of Jesus as just a great teacher, and though He was a great teacher, He was much more.   I pray that you know Him more than just a teacher today, more than a good man, but as Lord and your Saviour.

This was a great lesson for me, especially when I speak to other people.   To recognize the authority Christ has given me to speak, and to speak with conviction, sincerity, and with authority, whenever it comes to the word of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment