Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Call to Sinner's Mark 2:13-17

In this piece of scripture calls Matthew to "be my disciple" and this is the first time Jesus uses this phrase in Mark.   Matthew, a tax collector just sitting at his booth, gets a call from Jesus to follow him.  How cool is that.   Mathew then has Jesus come to his home as dinner guests, and what was there ... "many tax collectors and disreputable sinners"

Now there's nothing wrong with tax collectors, but tax collectors were notorious for taking things under the table, tipping the scales and in turn, pocketing extra coin.   But here Jesus is associating with them, and other 'sinners'.  

When the religious tried to call Jesus on who He was hanging out with, that's when we get to vs. 17.  I love verse 17 "When Jesus heard this, he told them, "Healthy people don't need a doctor-sick people do, I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners."

The bible is filled with 'non-perfect' people, anywhere from the lying Abraham, killer Moses, and Adulterer King David.   But what makes them heroes of the faith is that they acknowledged their sin, there were ordinary sinners in need of redemption.

We need the same heart.   I have to catch myself when I look at someone who is deep in sin, and I need to realize that Jesus died for them, and when I look at my own life, and my thoughts and pride, I need to get down on my knees and bow before Christ in humility, and acknowledge that I'm a sinner.

Jesus came to save those who know they are sinners.   I think this is a  stumbling block for some.   And there are people who don't think they have done any wrong.

Sometimes I wish I could see people as Jesus sees people.   Praise be to God that Jesus didn't come to save the perfect, but the He came to me  a sinner, you a sinner.   Doesn't matter if your rich, poor, whatever your ethnicity is, whatever you have done ... Jesus came to save us, and give us the gift of freedom from sin, freedom from death, the gift of victory in our lives, and victory over death.   So freaking cool :)

No comments:

Post a Comment