Friday, November 12, 2010

Fishers of People Mark 1:16-19 (NLT)

Jesus is walking by the shore, and he saw 2 guys throwing a net into the water, Simon (Peter) and Andrew, and all He says is "Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!"   and the scripture says... that they "left their nets at once, and followed him."

Peter, throughout scripture, is the first guy to do something, I mean if there's a guy that's zealous in following Christ, it's Peter.   Whether it's walking on water, wanting Jesus to wash him to make him clean, all this stuff.   Here he just drops everything to follow Christ.

There's not much of an explanation whether Peter and Andrew were talking about Jesus before hand, or if they were anticipating a change in their life.   When I first contemplated following Christ, I personally just knew, in my heart of hearts that Everything made sense with Christ, and without Him, nothing did.   For me, I was drawn to Christ, like the song says .. a deer pants for water.   Its didn't take much convincing at all for me to become a believer.

I wonder if it was the same with Peter and Andrew.   Then Jesus goes up the shore, and finds James and John Zebedee.   Calls them.  They follow.   But they didn't just do that, they left their father with his hired men in the boat.   THAT is a leap of faith.   Following Jesus is a life changing thing, and when Christ calls, we need to follow.

As I said, I didn't need much convincing to follow Christ, but I don't know if I would have the complete faith that James and John did, leaving his father on the boat to follow him.   

When I think about this, I think there are I realize that God plants desires in our hearts to follow Him, and we need to make the conscious choice whether or not we will leave the past behind, and trust Him with our future.   I love it that Jesus calls fishermen, just ordinary people, making a living to feed other people... and Jesus wants to use them to tell others about the 'Good News'.   These guys weren't scholars or Rabbi's, but just regular folks that will become his closest friends for the next 3 years of His ministry.

I'm humbled when I see these guys following the Lord so implicitly.   Sometimes its good to be critical, and analytical about stuff, but having complete faith in Christ, to give our lives implicitly to His will.   That takes guts, and real faith.   Our role as disciples of Christ .. His followers remains the same doesn't it?   "Come and follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people."

No comments:

Post a Comment