Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The tree's and the snow... and epilogue

   We just experienced some of the worst snows in quite a few years, and one of the things I notice is how much snow gets into our driveway.   It snowed so much that I couldn't even blow it out, but had to call someone with a tractor to get rid of the snow that had built up over the last few days.  

One of the reasons why our driveway is always packed with the white stuff is that our driveway runs South and North.   So whenever we get a North wind (aka .... always) we get dumped on big time.   What adds to the situation is the open field that our driveway faces.   No trees, no snow fence, all open.
Today we looked at how serious sin is in our lives, and I was thinking about my driveway and how it relates to the message.   Sin and the temptation to sin is much like my driveway I find.   Without a barrier, without something to stop the sin coming into our lives, we'll find ourselves struggling and struggling with our problems.  

Now thankfully I did find someone to blow out my driveway after the storm, but God does the same thing with our lives doesn't he?   Through his grace, and mercy, He helps us overcome whatever problem that we face.   And we will face them.

If I could go on my neighbors field and plant some trees, or put down a snow fence, would I have the same problem with my driveway?   Probably not.   Does it mean that's I'll never have to blow it out?  No, I will, but it will mean that I won't have to break my back shoveling it.

We will go through trials, and we will be tested (Mk 9:49), but there are things that we can do to be ready when the storm in our lives hit.   This isn't about doing a 'special program', its about living the new life that Christ gives us.   Putting on the armor of God each day (Eph. 6:10-18) . putting on God's truth, live in God's righteousness, be people of peace, hold on to your shield of faith, helmet of salvation, and the sword of the spirit.   Pray at all times.   All of these things are basics of our faith.   This is one of the reasons that I love to blog my studies, because it forces me to practice putting on my armor, forces me to pray, and be who God wants me to be.

Will we encounter trial, tribulations, and temptations?   Sure, it's part of our growth, part of God molding us to who He wants us to be..... but He has also given us the resources to NOT be snowed in by our circumstances, and His Son who has given us the victory!!    Praise be to God!                                                                                


No comments:

Post a Comment